Many of us want that million dollar Hollywood star smile. Most people cannot show off their smile because of discolored teeth, which gives a rather old looking appearance to a person and mar their good facial features. The best way to remove discoloration and have that perfect smile is by going through a teeth whitening procedure.
You can take up teeth whitening procedure by going to the dentist and having it done there by the dentist or you can bring home take a kit from the dentist and follow their instruction by doing it at home. Some people take to home recipes for teeth whitening instead of going by a dentist’s recommendations. However, teeth whitening can cause side effects. Here is a look at some of the risks you need to be aware of, before you decide to take up teeth whitening:
* If you were to opt for home remedies, many of them suggest using fruits which that strong acidic properties. Such food actually breaks away the teeth enamel and the result is sensitive teeth and teeth prone to decay.
* Dentist use a bleaching process to whiten teeth. The beach solution contain Hydrogen Peroxide and when done often can irritate the teeth and gums.
* People using at home kits need to use the right quantity of bleaching solution on their teeth. If you do not pay attention to what is the right concentration and quantity of bleaching solution that you need to use when doing teeth whitening at home, the result can be painful and discomforting instead of being helpful.
* Teeth whitening are also seen to cause gum irritation. Sometime patients are seen to experience sensations such as nausea, vomiting or a burning feeling as a result of ingesting tenth whitening solutions.
* Recently, research done by Georgetown University has brought out that hydrogen peroxide which is the man ingredient in teeth whitening solution may cause tongue cancer. Though the research based this only on 19 study cases, it is an alarming fact to be brought out.
Teeth whitening should be resorted to only if teeth are significantly discolored and it should not be used often. Preventing discoloration is better and this can be done by regular brushing and flossing.