Ok, so i have got many requests from people and my friends like khushal to post something related to personal hygiene, and that too related to my topic, i.e. teeth care.
Here i share some nice information on how to brush your teeth properly, which would help to keep your teeth clean, in good condition, and also help in decreasing tooth decay.
Brushing is essential for cleaning teeth and gums effectively. Use a toothbrush with soft, nylon, round-ended bristles that will not scratch and irritate teeth or damage gums. For those who want to know what a tooth brush is –
It is a rod like structure which has bristles in its head which when run against the teeth surface, cleans them.
Then the other main thing that is required is a Tooth Paste, as only toothbrush can harm the teeth, tooth paste improve the aesthetic appearance and health of teeth. It is almost always used in conjunction with a toothbrush. Toothpaste use can promote good oral hygiene.
Process of Brushing:
1. Apply the toothpaste onto the bristles of the toothbrush.
2. Place the brush at an angle of 45-degree against the anterior teeth i.e. the incisors and canines.
3. Ususally the anterior teeth are to be brushed vertically, as suggested by the dentists. Because horizontal brushing has 2 effects on the oral structures, firstly horiontal brushing can remove off the enamel, secondly the bristles as they are sharp, they can get into the tiny gaps between the teeth and the gums. So, proper care has to be taken while brushing the anterior teeth, as they are one of your beauty spot markers on your face.
4. Use short, back-and-forth brushing motions to clean the outside and inside surfaces of the teeth, as well as the chewing surfaces. Follow with up-and-down motions to clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth.
5. Use the “toe” of the brush to clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, using a gentle up-and-down stroke.
6. The occlusal surfaces of the pre-molars and the molars are to be brushed by horizontal brushing movements.
1. Do not apply much pressure. Most often people think that applying pressure would help in better cleaning of the teeth, but they dont realise how much sensitive the oral tissues are, until they see some bleeding from below the teeth, so be gentle while brushing the teeth.
2. Brush tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath. Not with the brushing bristles but there are tongue-cleaners available to do that.
Dental floss is either a bundle of thin nylon filaments or a plastic (teflon or polyethylene) ribbon used to remove food and dental plaque from teeth. The floss is gently inserted between the teeth and scraped along the teeth sides, especially close to the gums. Dental floss is flavored or unflavored, and can be waxed or unwaxed.
The dental floss is held between the fingers. It can be difficult to grasp floss due to the tension required to push between certain teeth, and reducing friction as the fingers and floss become wet from saliva.
To keep a hold, the floss can be wrapped around one or both fingers. Doing this on or above the first joint allows that finger to be used in conjunction with the thumb in a traditional pinch grip, to reduce excessive tension on the skin. Wrapping dental floss too tight as a tourniquet reduces circulation.
Many people floss dozen times a day, which is like an addiction, but it is advised not to floss many times. It also reduces the life of the oral structures.
I will be sharing information about dental implants soon.